Friday, April 16, 2010

49th Anniversary of the Bay of Pigs..Playa Giron!

April 17th 2010, the 49th Anniversary, of the Bay of Pigs, in Spanish, Playa de Giron!

The only Cuban hero’s are all those who fight or have fought against the Castro’s and Che Guevara.


In the present moment the heros are The Lady’s in White/Las Damas de Blanco, Yoani Sanchez, Cuban bloggers, Prisoners of Conscious and Political and all those that make it their daily bread to fight for human rights in Cuba and elsewhere.

On April 17, 1961, These were and are the Hero’s, approximately 1,300 courageous Cuban patriots belonging to the Assault Brigade “2506” landed on Cuban beaches. There mission was to overthrow Cuban dictator Fidel Castro and to reestablish democracy in their homeland. Nevertheless, the military operation at the Bay of Pigs which had been personally approved by President John F. Kennedy lasted only three days.


After 72 hours of continuous fighting, exhausted, they found themselves surrounded by more than 40,000 enemy troops, hundreds of artillery pieces and more than 50 heavy tanks. Soon they would realize that we had been abandoned by those who had recruited, encouraged, organized and trained us—American U.S. warships carrying more than 2,000 marines watched our inevitable defeat from only miles away. The American fighter planes flew over our heads, rocked their wings as a sign of friendship, and continued their flight without firing a single shot.


I can go on, yet I will not!


In my earlier youth, I would listen to my father and mother and man who were part of La Brigade 2506 and la Rosa Blanca organization, at the time the only Cuban-American organization. I could not believe what they were saying, yet history, has shown the truth of their life experience.

John F. Kennedy would be forced to abort the mission!


In my late teens and adult life, I remember friends of my Father, Lt. Cornel Merob Sosa Garcia, telling me, your Dad was right, JFK, would have to abandon the mission. These friends were men who went to the Bay of Pigs, men that served the United States Army, Marine, FBI and CIA of the United States of America.


Their hope, for a Free Cuba!  Shattered!!!  Now they must concentrate on getting out the political prisoner’s and wheel and deal with the U. S. government.   Move on to another military operation, yet fate had something else destined for the Cuban exiles, the people of Cuba and for President John F. Kennedy.


The next blow and although I was only 6 years old, I can remember where I was, who was with me and my father’s expression, when the news HIT that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.   He knew that the freedom for Cuba would NOW take even more time, with JFK being assassinated.


In his words and expertise, behind the JFK assassination, “ is the hand of treason and the hand of Fidel Castro”!

The story of the True Cuban Hero’s will be told!

No comments: